Questions and Advice to Help You With a Criminal CaseBeing charged with a crime can be quite a frightening experience. This is especially true for first time offenders or if this is your first time dealing with the country’s criminal justice system. Remember that being charged with a criminal offence doesn’t need to end in jail time. That’s why preparing your defense with the help of your criminal lawyer is an important step. Doing so will help you pursue the best possible outcome. Without proper legal representation, however, even one mistake could be detrimental to your case. Here are our tips to help you prepare your when meeting with a prospective legal counsel.
What You Should Prepare for Your Initial MeetingThere are things that you should prepare prior to meeting with your criminal defense lawyer. The following items will be helpful when discussing how to handle the defense of your case. You ought to bring the following to the initial meeting:
- All police and court documents. These should state what assault charges were made against you. They may also include the setting of the hearing or any other appearance in court.
- You may also want to bring any property search papers that the police may have given you. Any documents that concern a bail will also come in handy.
- Bring a written copy of all your contact information. You can print this out on a sheet. This, of course, will help your attorney in case they need to get in touch with you.
- If you were able to get a copy of your police report, then bring that to the meeting as well.
- Bring a list of witnesses that may help build your defense. This list should include anyone who can testify of your character, confirm your alibi, or anyone who can corroborate your story.
- Bring any item that may be used as evidence. This includes documents, videotapes, photos, and other items.
- Written information about your professional as well as your personal background. This could be information that will have a bearing on your case.
- Records of any prior convictions and criminal charges will help your attorney process your defense as well.
Questions You Should Ask Your Defense AttorneyThere are also a few questions that you should ask your defense attorney during your meeting. Asking them will ensure that you get all the important information that you will need for any future proceedings.
- How does your attorney charge for his or her services?
- How strong is your lawyer’s expertise with your type of case?
- How many similar cases have they handled in the past?
- What were the outcomes of their most recent cases?
- What is their estimated time before this case can be resolved?
- How often do I have to appear in court?
- Will they be handling this case personally?
- Is your attorney easy to get in contact with?
- Will there be someone else from the firm that will be involved in my case?
- What are the worst-case scenarios of my case?
- What are the best-case scenarios of this case?
- Do you see any possible difficulties with constructing my defense for this case?
- What are my options under the criminal justice system?
Prepare to Answer Your Lawyer’s QuestionsYour lawyer might also ask you some important questions to represent you effectively and efficiently. Answering them honestly will help your case and it is in your best interest to do so.
- What did the police do leading up to your arrest? What did they do during and also after you were arrested?
- How did the authorities approach you?
- What did they say?
- Where were you when you were arrested?
- What did you, or anyone with you, say in those circumstances?
- What did you do, what did you hear, and what did you say?
Three Important Rules of ThumbAbide by these 3 rules of thumb when preparing your defense with an attorney:
- Cooperation – Your lawyer will require your full cooperation. Be as forthcoming as you can.
- Coordination – Coordinate with your lawyer and don’t think that you can formulate a better strategy. You will need all the legal advice you can get.
- Communication –Keep in constant communication with your attorney. Any bit of info that you can get or recall may help build your case.
Contact Robert A. Dodell, Attorney at LawYour chances of a favorable outcome will greatly improve with proper legal advice, especially if you’re facing criminal charges. For effective defense for criminal and other related charges, you may call or email Robert A. Dodell, Criminal Attorney At Law.
The following article Tips for Preparing Your Defense With Your Criminal Lawyer was originally published to (Robert . Dodell Law Offices Tips for Preparing Your Defense With Your Criminal Lawyer first appeared on:
10601 N Hayden Rd, #I-103
Scottsdale, AZ 85260