- Reduced educational opportunities - This is seen as the biggest consequence of an underage DUI case. It can compromise a child’s ability to gain different kinds of educational opportunities. First, it makes it difficult for him to get accepted in a school or course he likes. Second, it can compromise his ability to get educational perks such as scholarships. Third, it can disqualify him from acquiring certifications, licenses, and the like. A DUI case, resolved or otherwise, can make it difficult for a child to reach his full academic potential.
- Reduced job opportunities - An underage DUI case not only affects a child’s educational opportunities, but it also affects his professional opportunities. In many ways, a case such as this makes it harder for him to apply for certain jobs. Some DUI cases remain on a person’s criminal record long after a case is resolved. It negatively affects his chances of getting hired, even if he has no other criminal records under his name. Having an underage DUI on the record will prove to be a huge disadvantage once he starts to look for a job in the future.
- Difficulty with the driver’s license - An individual with an underage DUI record will lose their driver's license. It may be difficult to get the driver's license back. If he is able to get a license, heu can still be classified as a high-risk driver, which carries several disadvantages. For one, penalties for traffic offenses are much stiffer. It’s also more difficult and expensive to get car insurance. This will also limit the types of vehicles that he can drive.
- Car insurance issues - People with a history of DUI or DWI cases, even if they committed them when they are still underage, are at a disadvantage when it comes to getting car insurance. The problem is that insurance for car owners with a DUI record is more expensive – that is if his application is not rejected to begin with. Pre-existing car insurance policies can also be voided after a DUI offense.
- Increased personal problems - There is a negative stigma associated with a person who committed crimes such as DUI when he is still underage. First, it compromises his relationships with other people, most especially his parents and other close family members. Second, there’s always a risk of developing trust issues, because the common thinking is that someone with an underage DUI case cannot be trusted with certain responsibilities. Some people may also think that he is incapable of making sound decisions. Lastly, it can cause embarrassment, which can scar him for the rest of his life.
Additional Helpful Resources Depending on the Case Type:
How Underage DUI or DWI can Affect your Child’s Future? See more on: http://azcrimlaw.com/blog/